Experiencing layers of self
In my last practice, I was struck by the experience of moving my awareness through the layers of my physical body -- seeking a deep level to focus on for meditation. This is part of my practice normally, and it got me thinking that meditation can be a space to sit with or bring attention to layers of ourselves -- whether physical or something else.
If you like the idea, I encourage you to try the meditation practice and take a moment afterwards to notice or reflect on any "layers" of self that come into your awareness.
You can also ignore all that and just practice in the way that suits you best! Enjoy!
Listen to "Ep 499 - Layers of Self + Hum Sa" on Spreaker.
What’s in this episode of Everyday Meditation?
- Welcome + getting situated, with a few thoughts on being aware of "layers" of one's self, whether in body, mind, or essence.
- A little lead-in movement: cat/cow
- Breathing practice: alternate nostril breathing (nadi shodhana)
- Meditation technique (awareness kriya): hum sa
- A little re-grounding movement: child's form
As always, I encourage you to make yourself at home in this practice: substitute, modify, do as you need to feel safe and present, including taking breaks!
After listening to the episode, perhaps check in: did you notice something that you want to carry with you? If yes, maybe jot it down in a notebook or record a voice memo to help you remember!
You can give it a try when you're ready
Be moving, be true, be you
photo credit matt benson, found on unsplash